Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Men and Women What appeals to whom?

When it come to new technologies what appeals to whom? I think this may be more of a questioning blog than one that provides many answers. Lets take me for example, I participate in and use many technologies as a woman. Things I use most, are the features on my cell phone (i.e planner, Text messaging, calling) Email, internet, Instant messanger, Blackboard, registering for classes digital music, MP3s etc. I think that men tend to use these things plus more. For me I use Com Techs that end up aiding me in my job or my social life... most of the things that I use are effecting me so that I can participate in society.

Men I would say use these things and Com techs associated with entertainment. Why do guys find Games (generally) more fascinating rather than women? I asked a guy and he said video Games were: fun, tied into action and movement, along with visual stimulating aspects to the action- these were all bonuses.

As I was thinking about why women don't find this form of entertainment as appealing and I think possibly because the opportunity to relationally socialize is not as high? I ask these questions with and openness to respond. Why did I find video games more fun when I was younger... but not as much now?

Gender does have an effect on our choice of Com techs but I am unsure how... I am wrestling with this and will be seeking to observe these differences to gain insight on this topic.

No comments: